Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

"Bee-seeing" critique


The blog, “Do we see what bees see?” is an interesting post about the differences in vision capabilities among bees, hummingbirds, and humans. This post was written by Sheri Williamson and can be found on her blog site, Life, Birds, and Everything .



Overall, the piece was very well written with the author’s point clear and her voice strong. The title first caught my attention because I immediately began singing the Christmas song “Do you see what I see?” when I came across it. This title caught my attention, made me want to read more, and made the post memorable. The author did a nice job mixing technical vocabulary with common phrases or her own language. For example, she was describing flowers as either entomophilous or ornithophilous but then ended the paragraph by calling insects “six-legged beasties”. She has a knack for keeping the post understandable and entertaining by her quirky phrases.



Sometimes, I had a hard time understanding what the author was trying to say do to the wording she chose. One sentence began, “Birds go us and bees one further with four types of cones” when she discusses the cones of birds’ eyes. I was cruising along reading the post quite smoothly when I stumbled on this phrase. I had to go back and reread this a couple times to finally grasp what the author was trying to say, and this ruined the flow of reading that I had previously been enjoying.



Other than those few small imperfections, I thought this was a great post, written by someone who is experienced in blogging and knows how to communicate science.

No comments:

Post a Comment